Projects related to: Manufacturing, Industry & Regional Cluster Strategies
Market Research and Analysis of SME Manufacturing Companies (NIST MEP)
- Market Research and Analysis Project – U.S. Department of Commerce/ National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP)
Identified competitive drivers, technical assistance needs, and purchasing behavior of small manufacturers nationwide. Developed 13 separate industry analyses based in part on 160 face-to-face interviews with manufacturers. Strategic implications were developed for the MEP program based on this market analysis.
Successful Strategies for Competing Against China / Low Cost Countries
- Competing Against China/Low-Cost Countries in Manufacturing – US Department of Commerce/ National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP)
Studied the migration of manufacturing to China, the impact on US small manufacturers, and potential strategies for US firms to successfully compete against China-based competitors. Research based on over 100 interviews with manufacturing executives. See our report: Competing Against Manufacturing in Low Cost Regions: Focus on China (2004)
Auto B2B eCommerce – Impact on US SMM Suppliers
- Automotive B2B eCommerce: Impact in Small Suppliers – US Department of Commerce/ National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) and Consortium of MEP Centers
Studied the impact of trends in B2B eCommerce on lower-tier, small and mid-size automotive suppliers, and identified ways that MEP centers can help suppliers become eReady.
RoHS-WEEE Impact on US SMM suppliers
- Study on the Impact of RoHS-WEEE on Electronics/Electrical Equipment Manufacturers – U.S. Department of Commerce/National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP)
Assessed the impact of RoHS-WEEE regulations in Europe on the electronics supply chain, and identified the requirements for small and mid-size manufacturers to be ready and compliant.
Regional Cluster and Sector Growth Strategies
- Energy Storage Cluster Roadmap – NorTech
Advised cluster analysis team on methodology and co-facilitated final strategy session.
- Water Cluster Roadmap – NorTech
Assessed Northeast Ohio water-related technology and product assets (established firms, research institutions, startups, etc.) Helped create working group for an ongoing Water Cluster and provided market analysis for job creation opportunity assessment.
- Briefing on the Solar Industry and Supply Chain – Blue Green Alliance
Synthesized published information on the state of the US solar industry and offered preliminary assessment of opportunities for US job growth.
- Open Ocean Aquaculture Maine – Business Development (self-funded)
Investigated viability of establishing an open ocean aquaculture operation in the U.S., in general, and in the Gulf of Maine.
- Strategic Audit of Manufacturing Sector – Port Authority of New York/New Jersey
Conducted in-depth cluster assessment of the manufacturing sector in the New York metro area, including identifying meaningful clusters and assessing their competitive strengths and vulnerabilities.
Market Research - SMM Competitiveness
- Market Research Panel of Manufacturing Executives – US Department of Commerce/ National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP)
Organized and managed a market research panel of manufacturing executives from MEP center clients. Leveraged the panel for valuable research on manufacturing competitiveness and service needs.